Tuesday, August 18, 2015

A POISONED SOUL PREVENTS A WIDOW'S REST

ANNIVERSARY

I went to visit you today, husband
Six months since you have passed
The sun, the wind, the deep-blue sky,
The swaying ebony trees
Sang of our past

I brought blue flowers for your stone
The ones you used to love
And I relived the days and nights we had...
Your face, your laugh, your touch

And then I came upon your plot
And was dumbstruck, and pained to see
The ones that I had brought, the pot
Broken and strewn amid the grass and weeds

Someone had thrown our flowers away
Replaced with plastic blooms instead
And in the place where "wife" was writ...
An ugly violent
scratch

There is a soul roaming the land
with poison in her breast
An offspring who's had venom fill her ear
By a jealous former mate
And who will drink the bitter cup of hate
Long after I join you in rest

8-17-2105
by juan montoya

No comments:

rita