Saturday, June 25, 2016

SHE HATED BATS, GUSANITOS AND UNRAKED MOWED GRASS


At Night, she hated bats,
She said
And I, in turn, replied,   
“They’re good. They eat mosquitoes.”
“They suck your blood,” she said.
“The bugs?,” I asked.
“No, the bats” she said.

In Spring, caterpillars terrified her
And cringed when one crawled near
“Kill it! Kill it!,” she jumps and cries.
“But one day it’ll be a butterfly,” I said.
“Colorful, beautiful, butterflies.”
“They’re creepy, crawly, and hairy, now,"
She answered, unconvinced

It was the same with other things:
Like not raking the lawn after I mowed it
"It's natural mulch," I told her.
"You're just lazy," she replied.

"Don't peel the spuds and cukes.
You're throwing away the best part," she'd say.
"The peel get stuck in my teeth and tastes sour," I would reply.

Thousands of them, there were
Not mosquitoes, bats, grass clippings, or potato peels
But the spaces between the things we saw
And how each saw them
That came between us
Like crawly, hairy, flighty things
That festered, gnawed, and pecked at all those ties
That bound the two of us…

Together

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inspired.

Anonymous said...

Oh, now you're Juan Frost? Write a poem on my picha next, okay?

Anonymous said...

Better than Jerry's poetry

Anonymous said...

Jerry's poetry is angst fueled by sexual abandonment; Juan never made such a commitment, often settling for lesser women, but knowing that he, unlike Jerry, could fuck them and let them go.

rita