Tuesday, August 22, 2017

TSC TRUSTEE RAMON CHAMPION HINOJOSA DIES THIS MORNING

By Juan Montoya
After a two-day battle and emergency surgery for a heart condition, Texas Southmost College Raymond Champion Hinojosa died early this morning at the Valley Regional Hospital in Brownsville.

He was 81 years old.

Ray, as all his friends called him, was elected in 2012 and his six-year term will expire 2018. The TSC will probably appoint a replacement to finish his term.

In the short time that he was at TSC, he cast important votes dealing with the college's accreditation, the selection of a a new president, and led the efforts to establish relationships with other governmental entities, and NGOs having to do with vocational-technical
endeavors for TSC students.

He was also very instrumental in forging new relationships between colleges on the Mexican side of the Rio Grande and TSC to provide a mutually beneficial opportunities to students on both sides of the river.

Hinojosa – a descendant of a pioneer Brownsville family – literally rose from the bottom up spending 35 years in education as an elementary, middle and high school teacher, assistant superintendent, and superintendent. He also directed federal, bilingual education and parental involvement programs.

He held a Bachelor of Arts in English and Government degree from St. Mary's University, and a Master’s in Education degree from Texas A&I University in Kingsville.

As a former instructor and administrator, he often spoke of the valuable asset TSC has been for the district's residents since its establishment in 1926 and was proud of his role is guiding it back to its original mission after its separation from the UT System.

Last night, board president Adela Garza said he was struggling and she took the opportunity to say goodbye. TSC interim president Mike Shannon and newly-appointed president Dr. Roberto Rodriguez also took the time to visit his bedside.

"We was a man of his word and a loyal friend to a fault," Garza said this morning. "My girls and I loved him."

Attorney Gerardo Danache, who accompanied family members at the hospital this morning, said that Darling Mouser funeral Home will be in charge of the funeral arrangements. Danache said Ray wanted his friends to celebrate his life and did not want an elaborate funeral.

Peace be with him.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Good Man. I always enjoyed talking with him.He took over my chair at the PUB and that was our bond. Captain Bob Sanchez

Anonymous said...

R.I.P. Don Ramon

Anonymous said...

Condolences to his family, friends and loved ones.

Anonymous said...

The famous LCA parties behind Pizza Hut on Central Blvd. Will they still party?

Anonymous said...

Bob, put your name on your stupidity, dude. You suck as anonymous.

Anonymous said...

Very nice person, May he Rest in Peace....

Anonymous said...

You will be miss Don Ramon

Unknown said...

My best friend. I will miss you dearly and remember you every time I succeed because that's what you always told me to never look back and always accomplish my goals. ❤️ I still hear your voice in my head telling me 'tu sige progresando no te rindas nunca' , that's what I'll do and now I'll do it for both of us so you be proud of me in heaven! �� Rest In Peace don Ramón !!! Att Perla

Anonymous said...

9:56 am mr Anonymous.i did sign as Captain Bob you signed as anonymous. If you need to speak with me I am at Captain Bobs daily. Or ask them for me and I am five minutes away. I would love to see who you are hiding behind anonymous . Robert Sanchez

Anonymous said...

Descanse En Paz.

Anonymous said...

Excelente educador mis condolencias a su familia

Anonymous said...

My condolences to the Hinojosa Family, Mr.Hinojosa helped my son through a friend get a class he needed at Hanna last year. My son and I are grateful to him, may he rest in piece- ,LUIS EDELMIRO HERNANDEZ

Anonymous said...

Raymond Hinojosa was an exceptional human been R.I.P

Anonymous said...

Baboso. You're a disgrace. You,Rene,Amanda, and your ex wife all deserve each other.

rita