THE DOCTOR SAYS:
When a Student Struggles With Math, We Should Ask Why
Imagine a child – we’ll call him Johnny – who begins struggling with math in elementary school.
He studies. He tries. But numbers simply don't make sense to him the way they seem to make sense to everyone else. Year after year, Johnny falls further behind. His teachers may not understand why. His parents may not understand either. Other children may tease him. Eventually, Johnny may begin believing what no child should believe about himself: “Maybe I'm just not smart.”
But what if Johnny has dyscalculia?
Dyscalculia is a learning difficulty that affects a person's ability to understand numbers and mathematical concepts. A child can be intelligent and capable in other subjects and still struggle profoundly with math. If we don't identify that child early, the consequences can follow him from elementary school through middle school, high school and eventually to the doors of college. In Texas, students may encounter another major barrier: the mathematics portion of the Texas Success Initiative Assessment, or TSI. A student who has struggled with an unidentified math-learning difficulty for years may find himself taking the exam repeatedly while watching classmates move ahead. By then, we are addressing the problem far too late. The better question should have been asked years earlier: Why is this child struggling with math?
Before treatment, find the cause
As a physician, I learned that you cannot properly treat a problem until you identify its cause. Education should be no different. Teachers and parents need the knowledge and resources to recognize possible signs of dyscalculia early. Children should be identified, evaluated and given appropriate educational interventions before years of frustration damage their confidence and limit their opportunities.
A child's difficulty with numbers should never become a judgment about his intelligence, motivation or
potential. Before we allow another Johnny to spend years believing he simply “can't do math,” we need to ask why. Sometimes the most important thing we can give a struggling child isn't another test. It's an answer.
potential. Before we allow another Johnny to spend years believing he simply “can't do math,” we need to ask why. Sometimes the most important thing we can give a struggling child isn't another test. It's an answer.
Physician. Conservative. Fighting for Brownsville's Future.
Click on link to go to her website: https://drcisnerosfortexas.com/
6 comments:
Are you going to talk about your opponent being a home wrecker and destroying a conservative family with the other elected official ?
Who’s more of a conservative candidate and why?
As a voter I don't care who this woman's opponent is screwing. As a matter of fact I would lose all respect for this lady if she began talking about her opponent's sex life.
As a voter I just want someone to get the job done. Back in the 90s I didn't care about who was blowing Bill Clinton.
Now you my dear anonymous poster can spill all the dirty details. Come on! You know you want too!
Politicians certainly attract a lot of attention. Bless them both. Either one would do just fine. Youth is really the only distraction, but I’ll still be voting for Erin. I also like Cisneros a lot. I think it’s going to be a good, clean race.
Students and education have always been used to win elections. I want to see Dr. Laura Cisneros volunteer at a local school and help the schools and staff. LIke 5 years ago, she should have been part of BISD helping the students.
Can we just call it what it is? Her opponent slept with a public official who hasn’t come out of the closet.
Ok Roman, the RINO, Perez
Post a Comment