Saturday, November 2, 2013

A DAY TO REMEMBER THE DEARLY DEPARTED

By Juan Montoya
Like many of the families at the rural cemetery today, my three kids and I visited the grave of their uncle, my little brother.
Jose Luis was only 23 when he left us, and left a void in our hearts that has never been quite filled.
His story was like that of many young people from the Rio Grande Valley. He never aspired to be the scholar and left to find work in the big city after he finished high school.
College was not for him. There was no lack of work in Houston. He worked for a time in construction, then finally ended up working for a company that was under contract to clear tree branches from power lines for Houston Power and Light.
One night his two roommates – both from Mexico – jumped him as he lay in bed and murdered him. They fled the country and were never heard from again. His murder remains unsolved.
His death nearly broke my parents' spirits and I saw them age visibly after the ordeal. His photos still line their living room walls. My kids often ask who the man in the picture is when they visit their grandparents. I tell them who he was and on this November 2, took them to see his final resting place where he lies next to the baby of one of my younger sisters who died at birth.
It is a shady plot with branches of an ebony and a mesquite tree overhanging the gravestone where he lies. I'm glad that I listened to my oldest son who insists we observe the ancient native custom of the Day of the Dead. I was able to share the memories of my little brother with them and share a bit of the short lived time I shared with their uncle. Hasta el otro año, carnal.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My deepest sympathy Juan, I csn relate to the pain you and your parents experienced. We lost my older brother, he was murdered in Matamoros and never found out who murdered him. Our comfort is we know they will burn in hell!

Anonymous said...

We give thanks for all those who have touched our lives, but are no longer with us....especially my father.

Anonymous said...

It is a shame one so young came to such a brutal and senseless end. That kind of pain never go away and will always be a companion of those who loved him.

At least this is one bad act you can't blame on the gringos.

Joaquin said...

My deepest sympathies. It's bad enough to lose a brother but in that manner...I can't imagine what this is like for your family. Prayers to all of you...

rita