Monday, May 6, 2024

FELICIDADES PAT – DE CORAZON – ON YOUR FIRST BIRTHDAY

(Ed.'s Note: It was a year ago May 4 that former City of Brownsville commissioner and Brownsville Independent School District board member Pat Lehmann went under the knife[ or was it laser?] at Houston's Methodist Hospital to receive a heart transplant, in fact, the 10,000th heart transplant performed at that world-famous hospital. He is now residing in Houston with his better half Rosie and is almost over his post-operation therapy and feeling just fine, he said over a phone call. We post this letter from HMS president and CEO Mark L. Bloom written at the time of the successful surgery. Happy first birthday Pat, and many more!)  

By Mark L. Bloom
President
Chief Executive Officer
Houston Methodist Hospital
June 2023

I hope you all are getting to spend more time with your families this summer. Father’s Day is a highlight of my summer. Being a father is one of the greatest, rewarding and, yes, humbling experiences. My three children are my biggest teachers, and they challenge me to be a better leader and person. I hope those of you who are fathers or father figures enjoyed your Father’s Day this year.

For one Houston Methodist patient, this Father’s Day was extra meaningful. Patrick Lehmann, 68, received a heart transplant at Houston Methodist Hospital on May 4, becoming the recipient of our 10,000th transplant. 

Many of you have probably heard the news that we reached this milestone, and you may already know Houston Methodist’s rich history with transplant. We had our first transplant, a kidney, in 1963, and Dr. Michael E. DeBakey performed one of the country’s first heart transplants at Houston Methodist in 1968.

Now, Dr. Mark Ghobrial leads a team of over 500 employees who help Houston Methodist remain one of the most prolific transplant programs in the country.

But you may not think about the faces, the people and the families behind these transplants. Let me tell you about Patrick.

Patrick is from Brownsville, Texas, and has been married to his wife, Rose, for 45 years. Together, they have two adult children and four grandchildren. Patrick has held many civic positions during his lifetime, including city commissioner of his hometown and school board member of the Brownsville Independent School District. 

Patrick owned a motorcycle shop and now runs an independent engine repair company, but he says his most important roles are those of father and grandfather.“I experienced my first heart attack in 1994. Since then, I had six stents put in and was diagnosed with a leaky valve," Patrick said. “I was seeing my cardiologist in Brownsville, and he said the temporary fixes weren’t working anymore. I needed a transplant.”

Patrick sought advice from his doctors and a longtime friend, who suggested Houston Methodist because the friend received a transplant here 20 years ago.

“My friend was a walking billboard for your transplant program,” Patrick said. 

“My doctors told me a heart transplant was my best chance at seeing my grandchildren graduate high school. Who wouldn’t want that?!”

Patrick spent this Father’s Day in his hospital room recovering from the transplant surgery, visiting with family members and planning a trip to see a grandchild turn 4 in the fall.

Patrick said he received the most memorable gift this Father’s Day: “Instead of getting chocolates or a new pair of socks, I received a new heart. You can’t beat that. I get to be a granddad for longer. I can give my grandkids more horsey rides. I was given the best gift — the gift of time — and I’m forever grateful to my donor.”

I hope Patrick’s story reminds you, like it has for me, the difference you make each day. Every one of you has a role in improving and saving patients’ lives. You may be Patrick’s nurse, physical or occupational therapist, surgeon or cardiologist. You could have served his wife lunch in our dining hall. You might have scheduled Patrick’s first appointment at the DeBakey Heart & Vascular Center or transported him to his room at the J.C. Walter Jr. Transplant Center. You may have helped save his friend’s life 20 years ago, the friend who recommended Patrick come to Houston Methodist for treatment.

As with all our achievements, the 10,000th transplant milestone matters not because of the prestige it brings but rather the lives it changes. It matters because of people like Patrick.

(P.S.: You can't say you weren't warned. Pat has threatened to visit Brownsville at the end of this month.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

He changed his eatin habits now he eats Chitlins everyday and warameons...hahahahaha

Anonymous said...

Young ums should recieve first dibs on transplants

Anonymous said...

Ahora si es buena persona,

Anonymous said...

I built a voting booth, and I am charging 25 bucks to vote and people are lining up UNBELIEVABLE

Anonymous said...



Continued good health.


Stay well.


rita