Monday, August 3, 2026

MEMORIES FROM A LONG AND WINDING MUSICIAN'S ROAD

By Albert Besteiro
The Connectors

With more time on my hands these days, I often and frequently daydream of past memories from my life. 

One in particular is when I performed at a Mexican jail ( I've also performed at a jail in Dusseldorf, Germany)...I was very reluctant to go perform there but a friend was being detained for importing "herbs" from Mexico. 

In exchange for less time for our friend, we (The Connectors) agreed to perform there. Upon arriving at the facility, we were frisked, our Driver's License confiscated along with our car keys. 

As we are being paraded into a long tunnel with barb wire along the top and sides, I thought to myself what a dumb decision I had made. 

My heart was beating fast and there was no way I could turn back, fear gripped me...and then, the other side of the tunnel opened up into a yard or playground and as I lifted my eyes to see, I was shocked!! It looked like "family day" at a park...people playing basketball, inmates spending time with their families, people selling fruits and art. 

We then were ushered to our friends cell...where outside was a bar-b-q pit with fajitas and steaks...we entered the cell and greeted our friends...they then asked " Would you like something to drink? ( My options were beer, brandy, or soda). I opted for the cold Mexican beer...they then lit the celebratory and welcoming first joint of the afternoon. 

Fortunately, since the cells had a outside walkway with fresh air from outside, smoking was not prohibited...we ate and celebrated for an hour or so, then a group of inmates unloaded our equipment and set up our gear (all gear was intact and nothing stolen ) we played for the inmates and their families and were well received. 

Months later, each band member received a plaque from the Mexican government thanking us for helping in the " rehabilitation " of their criminals! I met alleged thieves, murderers  and drug dealers all whom have caused much pain and suffering, yet they treated us like kings that day. 

I'm still trying to process that experience and how despite it being another gig it opened my eyes to a different side of humanity...after night had fallen, we all left free to return home and I slept like a baby...

4 comments:

Diego Lee Rot said...

The
Past
is your
Last

It's here
One day
and
then it's not

Live Your Life
like
You'll never get another
for anything else
Why bother?

Tell me You, too
will Die
And
For now, I'll
listen to your Lie. . .

Anonymous said...

I remember a few weeks ago someone was reporting on the negotiations with Iran. He quoted Trump as saying America is self-sufficient with oil. We have all the oil we need, but we’re also selling oil. If that is true, the oil companies should be prevented from shipping oil out of the country and jacking our prices up. I wish I could remember which broadcast I heard that on. The oil companies' profits have gone up some of them hundreds of millions of dollars it’s crazy.

Anonymous said...

The war with Iran is about oil. I am glad that they are not letting the US government take advantage of them. The oil companies are definitely screwing us. The same as cigarette companies.

It takes a tough bird to survive.

Anonymous said...

Is that why the song "Chato's Out of Prison" was made?

rita