Thursday, November 15, 2018

COMPETITORS ON THE COURT, SOROLA AND PRISCI NOW SERVE


"I am honored to have been asked by my good friend Dr. Prisci Roca-Tipton to administer the oath of office. I consider it a privilege to welcome her into the ranks of elected public officials. It is a rewarding, and sometimes difficult, job. But if you care about our community, as I do and I know Prisci does, she’ll love it.

I say this from experience. You see, Prisci and I grew up together in Brownsville. Our parents taught us to work hard and do our best. We attended the same elementary school and then went off to different high schools, she to Hanna, me to Pace. (Go Vikings!)

And we often met on the basketball court as opponents. I don’t have to tell those of you who ran against her that she is a formidable competitor. Every time I saw her suited up on the other side of the
court, I knew I was in for a fight.

Sometimes she was the victor. Sometimes we came out on top. But just as she was competitive on the court, off the court she was a kind and considerate competitor who respected her opponent. She was a
gracious victor and when she lost, which was rarely, she respected the winner.

It’s good to see that the BISD board will be made up of a cross-section of our community coming together from all walks of life to improve the education of our children. I can personally assure you that just as Prisci was ferocious on the basketball court, she will be equally dauntless to be an advocate and a protector our students, our community, and our schools."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The pearls the pearls...

rita